Dutch to sue Micro$oft...

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:57:40 -0500 (CDT)

> Still doesn't explain the need to call it GNU/Linux.  I've never heard
> Hurd (um...) referred to as GNU/Hurd Linux, even Debian's version is
> Debian Hurd, not Debian Linux.  That's one case where I see potential
> confusion, but the confusion is solely on which Debian is it, not which
> Linux or which Hurd.

Technically it is called GNU Hurd.  From the project page.

The GNU Hurd is the GNU project's replacement for the Unix kernel. The
Hurd is a collection of servers that run on the Mach microkernel to
implement file systems, network protocols, file access control, and other
features that are implemented by the Unix kernel or similar kernels (such
as Linux).

Thus in this example you would have

Debian GNU\Linux
Debian GNU\Hurd

> GNU/BSD/Artistic/Apache/Linux OS
>
> ... because I think all licenses deserve a voice.  Freedom of speech for
> licenses everywhere!

I dont think its about license here.  I do think you are correct that if
everyone is given credit its an ugly name.  Therefore for this and other
reasons, I think the request is deserved, but in practically its probably
good that its not implemented.  There are more important things FSF could
focus on for sure.

-Derek