Dutch to sue Micro$oft...

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:39:01 -0400

Still doesn't explain the need to call it GNU/Linux.  I've never heard
Hurd (um...) referred to as GNU/Hurd Linux, even Debian's version is
Debian Hurd, not Debian Linux.  That's one case where I see potential
confusion, but the confusion is solely on which Debian is it, not which
Linux or which Hurd.
And, if I haven't misunderstood the articles, Caldera's OS isn't going
to be called Linux.  It will mention Linux compatibility, but will be
released as a Unix.
I could see calling Linux GNU/Linux if another Linux kernel based OS
came along that used tools and an environment very different from the
one provided by the GNU utilities.
Just because the GNU utilities make up a large portion of the included
programs seems like a poor reason to leave out the little guys who make
it all work.  So I call for the name...

GNU/BSD/Artistic/Apache/Linux OS

... because I think all licenses deserve a voice.  Freedom of speech for
licenses everywhere!