Looking for CVS questions

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:00:45 -0500 (CDT)

> -Demos and recommendations of GUI front ends to CVS on Linux and (GASP!)
> Windows.

GUI on GNU\Linux is a crime in 39 out of 50 states. I do hear pharmacy is
decent though. http://pharmacy.sourceforge.net/

On Windows winCVS is nice.  http://www.wincvs.org/  It has a tutorial here
(http://www.computas.com/pub/wincvs-howto/)

> -How does CVS handle binary files (storing method, retrieval of previous
> versions, any special considerations)?

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/ is a free online book that will answer MOST
of these questions.  In a nut shell cvs and binary files are well not the
best of friends.
(http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#CVS_And_Binary_Files)

> -What are some "rules of thumb" for growth planning?  How much storage is
> needed on the repository server?

This is a good 'opinion'' topic and better to discuss via forum like a
plug meeting. :)

> -Good answers to this reaction from colegues and management (I have gotten
> this one.): "It's free (as in now license fee)?  If it is free, how could
> it be very good and who supports it?"

This is similar to the age old debate that exists for all free software.
Another good plug topic, but as plug has meetin on this and you get

> -What is the merge process (automatic and manual) like? >

In cvs things are a little different terminology wise.  I mean files are
diffed on checked in dont know if thats what you mean by merge.  If you
mean a CVS merge, that generally happens when you build a branch adn then
merge branch into trunk(head).
(http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Branches)

> -How much time should be expected to spend on admin duties?  What are the
> regularly needed admin tasks?

We have fairly active CVS and administration is pretty minimal.  About
only tasks we seem to do is hand out new accounts or 'move' repositories
as people change thier mind. :)

> -Can automation be done to dis-allow commits that break the build?

Hmm... I suppose with a computer anything is possible.  I do not think the
purpose of cvs is do this.  TAG and BRANCH should allow you ways to keep
working builds while still allowing development.

derek