fstab question

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:28:12 -0700

Charlie Bullen wrote:

> Good Morning, I have put the following entry in my /etc/fstab file
>
> /dev/hda1     /home/charlie/mydocs     vfat   auto   0 0
>
> The desired result is to mount hda1, which is the c drive on my dual
> boot system, so that I can read, write and execte items on that drive.
> The acutal result is that I can read from the drive and I can even run
> a couple of windows programs that I need, using code weaver version of
> wine, but I can't write to the drive hda1.  This is important for 2
> reasons:
> 1. I have to share the files created (primarily under Star office, but
> also some graphics) with windows users on the network.
> 2. The only printer I have is a canon multipass C3000 whch I can't get
> to rn under linux (Suse 7.2)
>
> A side issue is that I plan on using this comuter as a samba server.
> If I do that and then access my home directory from another computer
> and I have the windows directory mounted under my home directory, will
> I then be able to access files on the windows directory?

I believe that when all all is said and done, there is a bug within
StarOffice 5.2 that will hang when saving ".doc" files to fat formatted
volumes. So beware of this issue, I have noticed it myself. Your choices
are to save to native staroffice format or to an e2fs or smbfs served
directory and move the files over.

Craig