fstab question

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:44:48 -0700

> Charlie Bullen wrote:
>
> Good Morning, I have put the following entry in my /etc/fstab file
>
> /dev/hda1     /home/charlie/mydocs     vfat   auto   0 0
>
> The desired result is to mount hda1, which is the c drive on my dual
> boot system, so that I can read, write and execte items on that drive.
> The acutal result is that I can read from the drive and I can even run
> a couple of windows programs that I need, using code weaver version of
> wine, but I can't write to the drive hda1.

that is because root mounted the partition and you do not have write
permissions...  If you figure out how to have root mount and give users
write permissions let me know  I spent some time trying to do this a
couple of years ago and gave up...

How I have solved the problem is not to have root mount it and allow the
users to mount on the fly...  To do this just change the "auto" to
"noauto".  Here is the fstab entry for my transfer partition:

/dev/hda4       /trans          vfat    noauto,user,exec         0 0

After boot up I just do a "mount /trans" when I need it...

there is probably a better way to do this, but this works for my
needs...

 EBo --