Presidential Candidates (was: code red and MS's liability)

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:52:00 -0700

Nick Estes wrote:

> I'm sure it was inevitable at some point, but now we're going to get into
> a mythology debate... (-=
>
> First, it's spelled Cthulhu (damn all those consonants). (-=
>
> The next issue is that the amount of trouble the sumerians had putting
> consonants together is fairly irrelevant here since cthulhu isn't from
> their mythology but rather the creation of a pretty messed up author
> towards the beginning of the 20th century.  In his writings, he referred
> to a then non-existant book called necronomicon which other authors then
> wrote.  It is in one of these versions where a link was made from cthulhu
> to sumerian mythology; however, this link is fictional it doesn't really
> exist in sumerian mythology.
>
> There are some who say that the necronomicon referenced by lovecraft
> actually does exist and predates his writings, but that's a discussion for
> another time since the one that makes the link to sumerian mythology was
> written after.
>
> Of course someone will undoubtably disagree and force me to do more
> research. (-=

Thank you nick for the learned correction.  I have not made a study of
Lovecraft, Sumerian mythology, or the like.  What I originally wrote was
what was told to me when I asked about the presidential bumpersticker.
It is good to be corrected though.

While we're so off topic, can anyone point me to someone knowledgible
about Anu mythology (a minor Indian diety of smiths)? I have a question
about a sanskrit reference I read in an archeotechnology paper I read...

Any pointers, please email me directly, I think it is now well past time
to take this discussion off the list ;-)

  EBo --