logging ftp downloads.

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:32:38 -0700

Craig White wrote:

> > Hence my disclaimer: "Best I can do...".  I suggested ProFTPD because:
> > 1) it has documentation, 2) the authors try to make it secure, 3) he
> > appeared to have security concerns & inadequate docs.
> >
> > Uh, my bad?
> >
> -----
> obviously, proftp is what he had so perhaps you can help him. I just go
> crazy when someone asks for help in using what came with their distro and
> the first comment out of the box is don't use that, use this one instead so
> they then have a whole new problem, how to disable what they using and then
> locate and install another. Trading one problem for another just doesn't
> make a solution.

actually, actually, suse installed them all and ftpd-0.3.2-18 was the
one running.  The problem I originally had is that I was following the
instructions to configure a different one than was running...  I would
make a change and test, and nothing would happen...  A basic case of
taking the dog for a walk and realizing I'm not in Kansas any more ;-)

> probably should try to use proftpd since it's already installed and I do see
> a fair amount of users recommending it. I am wondering if the ftpd that you
> have installed is actually the anonymous ftpd. Are there /bin, /etc, /lib
> subdirectories in the ftp tree (they would indicate anonymous ftp since an
> anonymous ftp user should be chrooted at the ftp directory, have 111 access
> to these three local subdirectories and 644 or 655 access in the /pub
> directory.

Ok...  I'll try that later.  Thanks.

> I know with wu-ftpd, you can log just xfers or all commands and I have to
> believe proftpd can do much the same.

ok...

 EBo --