Lilo hangs

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:38:39 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Sean Roe so:

> I had a motherboard die, so I replaced it with another one that has a
> VLB controller ( the first one was IDE on board....Okay so I went
> backwards, but it was all I have!)  and I went to boot it up and poof
> it does the "LI" hang two step.  The hard drive is a WD 10.2 G, but it
> is only reporting as an 8 G drive.  I think this is the problem but I
> am not sure if or how to correct it.  any ideas?

I went through this last night. It might be due to a debian upgrade,
presuming you're running debian, which I think you are :).

I booted from CD into the installed OS[1], installed lilo[2], checked my
lilo config, then ran lilo. Upon reboot all was in good shape.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] If you want to avoid all those inane modules.deps problems ( presuming
the kernel on your boot CD is not the same as on your dist ) boot into the
install program. On virtual console 2 mount your partition that holds
/lib/modules and recursively copy the /lib/modules/<kernel_version> dir
over to the disk. Then when you boot from the CD it all works hunky dory
:).

[2] Don't know why that had gotten uninstalled. Annoying it was, though!

--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.