Anyone with BSD install experience?

Nigel Sollars plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:59:08 +0000

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> Hi all, I am a new member of the list.
>
> I have many years of professional support experience with Win9x/NT and only
> cursory experience with *nix. Now as a Computer Science student at ASU I
> feel it is time I took the plunge to a Unix envronment. I had little trouble
> installing Unix itself, but X is killing me :) I was wondering if anyone
> here had any experience installing Xfree86 on a unix platform from the
> command line and would be willing to help me (I am using OpenBSD 2.8 but I
> assume most *nixes (*nixi?) are very similar, probably a dangerous
> assumption).
>
> If anyone can help, I will gladly elaborate on the problem with specifics.
> Otherwise, I look forward to the May meeting.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Zach Glazar

You may want to lower yourself in slowley take a look at Slackware as it is
very close to BSD

with its RC setup and alike but still a linux

With regards to X i have the Xfree86 4.0.3 sources if u want them

basic installation is easy the readme shows how

just off the top of my head it goes something like

make World

make install

make install.man

If your not using any GL cards NVidia etc then before running the make take a
look at the xmakefile and edit to suite your system i changed the -m & -march
optimization flags to read -pentiumpro for slightly faster performance.

Nige