[azipa] Database Suggestion?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:38:13 -0500 (CDT)

> What really worries me is that your Access 97 database must be about to
> break.  The four major players in the database market are:
>
> Oracle,
> Microsoft SQL Server,
> IBM DB2,
> Sybase,
> and Informix
>
> Price will prevent any but the largest or well endowed NPOs from using ANY
> of these real databases.
>
> PostgreSQL falls somewhere in-between the big five and Access.  Also, you
> can just barely run it on Windows.  However, it is free and works pretty
> well.

I am not sure how one can say PostgreSQL falls some where between Access
and the big boys.  MySQL fits that bill, but not PostgreSQL.

At this point probably only DB2 and Oracle are clearly above PostGRES.  I
do not evaluate MSSQL as a choice as it is the only one that runs on a
SINGLE platform.  A platform that doesnt scale very well so by default it
has to be left out of such a discussion IMHO.

Derek
derek@gnu.org