[azipa] Database Suggestion?

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:06:12 -0700

I am not an expert on bandwidth.  I suspect that a business DSL at each
office might fit the bill.

-----------

What really worries me is that your Access 97 database must be about to
break.  The four major players in the database market are:

Oracle,
Microsoft SQL Server,
IBM DB2,
Sybase,
and Informix

Price will prevent any but the largest or well endowed NPOs from using ANY
of these real databases.

PostgreSQL falls somewhere in-between the big five and Access.  Also, you
can just barely run it on Windows.  However, it is free and works pretty
well.

Also, there are other organizations that can roundup volunteers to set up a
network and applications for a charity.  In my experience the main problem
is most volunteers are in deep need of resume padding--the hardest part is
finding someone qualified to supervise the project AND willing to deal with
the flakiness that comes with a volunteer technical crew.