NPO

Derek A. Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:30:34 -0700

> ....but its widely recognized and less confusing than free software... that
> being that its free as in cheap low quality crap, and not free as in you
> wont be emotionally and phisically raped by a computer holding its software
> over your head.

I dont know about that.  Perhaps in the media.

> I would imagine that it would be acceptable to sling the open source
> terminology around and still be comfortable in recommending free, but closed
> source solutions to peoples problems.

I dont know how likely that is to happen.  I think
it would be more common for it to go the other
way.  Where as by slinging the term Open Source
software around you end up with open source code
but non free usage to it, in which case it is
pretty much useless.

Sun, Netscape and Apple are all examples of
companies that have 'opened' code, but not made it
free enough to be useful, by stating you are only
interested in Open Source you are encouraging
this, but from the sounds of the philosphy of the
group perhaps it is what you want to encourage?

It just seems odd coming from a group organized to
meet about a free operating system GNU\Linux that
is compromised on nearly 85%+ free software on
nearly every distribution.

Derek Neighbors
derek@gnu.org