Question about modprobe and LKM's

Emmanuel Gravel plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

I've been trying to figure out my way around modprobe,
/etc/modules.conf, insmod, etc. I'm running SuSE 6.4
on a system right now, with very little added that
wasn't on the CD's. The way I set it up initially was
without PPP but now I'm trying to get it up and
running. YaST won't give me access to the PPP menu in
the SysAdmin/Network conf menus. I'm trying to get PPP
to load up as an LKM but it won't start. The closest
line in modules.conf is loading the character device
as ppp_async, but an lsmod shows it's not even there.

How would I configure modules.conf to load ppp and
slhc at bootup?

How can I tell modprobe to show me what it loads at
bootup? I tried pretty much all the flags and it
either shows me everything, most of which isn't
loaded,
or it shows me nothing, or even a few things that
aren't loaded.

Just trying to make heads and tails of LKM's :)

Thanks!

Emmanuel