[Xpert]Almost There!

Michel Dänzer michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:48:11 +0200

Rick Rosinski wrote:

> After running xf86config and adding all available modes for each bit depth
> and saying "yes" to the virtual screen question, I ran startx.
> It came up with a virtual screen!  (adding those extra modes must have been
> the trick).
>
> I went and replaced the Virtual line in my 24 bit depth to "Virtual
> 2400x2000" like I had in my XFree86 3.3.6 configuration.

What exactly does that look like?

> But, I seem to be getting only 1024x768 virtual resolution with a "640x480"
> look, but I wanted 2400x2000 with the "640x480" look.

I assume you have a line like

   Modes "640x480" ... "1024x768" ...

then. The default virtual resolution is the size of the biggest used mode. If
you have bigger modes there they are probably rejected because they don't fit
into the monitor scan ranges (look at the log).

> I feel crunched in a tight box.  No desktop room.  I can always use the
> paging and open apps there, but I am working with images with high dpi and I
> need all the desktop space I can get.
>
> What else should I do?  I know it can be done.

As someone else pointed out, it might be the tdfx driver not paying attention
to the virtual resolution options. Someone would have to fix it then.