2 NICs?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:14:10 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Chris Jensen so:

> I'm trying to configure a second NIC on my Slack and OpenBSD box (one
> box, two drives). The rt8139 drivers for my PCI, D-link DFE-530TX+(s)
> are compiled into the 2.4.0 kernel. I've been reading the
> ethernet-HOWTO and got the part about adding "ether=IRQ,BASE_ADDR,NAME"
> to lilo.conf and running lilo, but I get syntax errors on the line I

I really don't think you should need this anymore. The kernel at some
point was changed to autodetect multiple cards. I haven't given lilo
directives for many years and almost all of my boxen have multiple
functioning eth interfaces. Some have multiples of the same card, others
have different cards.

Does "ifconfig -a" list both interfaces? If so, you're ready to use them.

If not, are the drivers for both cards in the kernel? If they're available
as modules, have the modules been loaded? That one gets me once in a
while.

> added. Does anyone know the correct syntax? I've tried it in the middle
> and the end of lilo.conf and I've tried it as: "ether=0,0,eth1" and
> "linux ether=0,0,eth1" (without the quotes, of course), but neither
> gets past the syntax error. Also, does anyone know how to determine the
> BASE_ADDR of a NIC? I've tried: "cat /proc/pci" and "lspci -v" to list
> device and both cards show up on different IRQs and naming variations
> so I know that it's seeing both cards, but no BASE_ADDR as I'm familiar
> with them (0xNNN). I'm trying this first in Slack since it's so similar

Shows up with ifconfig. The "I/O ports at xxxx" line from "lspci -v" seems
to match the "Base address:0xxxxx" entry from ifconfig. /proc/ioports also
shows it.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  The only way for a woman to change a man