Configuring X 4.0.2 with Voodo2 AGP card

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 02:31:49 -0700

O.K.  I am in big trouble now.  Can't load X 4.0.2 after installingand
configuring it..  I used xf86cnf -textmode, which braught up the ncurses
configuration (the graphic one couldn't detect my mouse with the "auto"
feature that it uses).
Anyway, I get the following error:

tdfx:  Cannot find Voodo3 in Voodo3 (generic) - or something like that.

I checked the new XF86Config and compared it with the old one.
I noticed that the main differences were the "driver" variable.  The old one
had "accel" and the new one had "tdfx"

I manually edited the new XF86Config file and replaced "tdfx" with "accel"
and ran startx.  Said that no drivers could be found.  Then, I tried playing
around with stuff like "vga", "vesa", "tdfx", "s3virge", etc.  Nothing!

I have a Voodoo2 AGP card with 16MB sharing ram.  For X 3.3.6, I used
Voodoo3 (Generic), and that is what I figured should be used for X 4.0.2.

I need some real help here, I don't want to be using Windows forever!