remote printer problems

Kevin Buettner kev@illusions.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:46:08 -0700

On Mar 31,  5:39pm, David Mandala wrote:

> hosts.lpd file file must use fqdn's not ip #'s

Are you sure?

None of my Linux machines seem to have a man page for hosts.lpd.  And
at the moment, I don't feel like digging around in the sources to find
out.  However, my FreeBSD machine's man page has the following to say
about the matter...

HOSTS.LPD(5)              FreeBSD File Formats Manual             HOSTS.LPD(5)

NAME
     hosts.lpd - trusted hosts that may use local print services

DESCRIPTION
     The hosts.lpd file contains a list of hostnames or IP addresses that are
     allowed to use your local print services.  List every hostname or IP ad-
     dress on a line itself.

FILES
     /etc/hosts.lpd       The hosts.lpd file resides in /etc.

SEE ALSO
     printcap(5),  lpd(8).

FreeBSD                          June 1, 1996                                1