dist evals[1]

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:53:28 -0700

> My question is, with 4,000+ packages available
> for (Linux|*BSD), and (tens|hundreds|thousands)
> of (employees|volunteers) tracking the latest
> version of each package and building a new
> (.deb|.rpm) every (hour|day|week), exactly how
> maintainable is a linuxfromscratch system?

Heres what I do:

1. Dont fix it unless its broken. Let unused software go without
updates, if you dont delete it altogether
2. When you wish to run something new, download it and try to compile
it.
    a. When it doesnt compile, download the libraries needed,
preferably as source. Save all source.
    b. Download any additional source necessary for the library you
are trying to build.
    c. Repeat steps A and B recursively, until step 2 can be
completed.
3. Install it, run it, test it.
4. Test other programs using any libraries that were updated rather
than installed fresh.

Seems to work fine, the transition from kernel 2.0 to kernel 2.2 was a
bigt hurdle however, one that actually required compiling a new
compiler. Fun fun fun!

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|