user tracking

Mark Peoples gascsd@gascairlines.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:18:46 -0700

What group is this? Throwing the combo of Solaris and 2k together makes me
think something to do with IT.  =)

Personally, techrepublic.com is pretty cool. They have some cool articles
every once-in-a-while. I did some NT stuff a few months back and did a
presentation to WNUG...backing up ACLs, ERDs, DHCP databases, etc etc. The
nixen part of it was writing to a smb share on linux box.  =)

As for security at ASU, heh. They're testing the ASURITE/kerberos stuff with
W2k. The goal is to get everything to authenticate in the krb domain. I
think the problem they're running into is having w2k clients authenticate
against the current nixen krb servers, or it's the other way around. krb is
the way to go at asu though, that's for sure. On the nixen machines, don't
bother with AFS though...they're going to stop using that in a few years,
moving to DFS (not MS DFS), so I've heard.

**HANS: We need to get that tour scheduled. =)  **

As for automation and s/w comparison for windows machines, you should be
able to get SMS through IT for your group. Make sure you get 1.2 and not 2.0
(unless you don't want to support Macs <g>). We used this for package distro
stuff to the windows machines (only nt4 right now), and it worked pretty
well...now we just use ghost or LabExpert (LE is *very* cool...one of the
coolest damn things i've seen). Registry hacks are still your best friend to
make sure each system does things the same (eg, coordinating a/v updates and
upgrades).

I'll be starting on a nixen s/w comparison deal here in the next few days,
hopefully. We essentially run a mirror of redhat, and have all the RPMs
local on an NFS export to, well, the world. <g> The problem is that with
god-only-knows how many linux boxes in the dept., we have a hard time making
sure things are up to date on all of the boxes we administer. The goal is to
tie it into bb (we love bb <g>) to get the list of machines to update, and
so on.

Central administration rocks.