user tracking

Mark Peoples gascsd@gascairlines.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:59:58 -0700

We were going to implement a tool at work to monitor 20-30 various nixen
boxes (DEC, Linux, BSDs [we need more of these <g>]) using some csh
scripting, ssh, and rsync, and, tie it into our bb stuff.

I was reading something and came across this link which does almost the same
task that we want, except with perl.
http://perl.oreilly.com/news/sysadmin_0800.html

The proggies you mentioned below were on the top of our list to monitor.
We've got boxes (tier 3...we're not the admins) that get broken into fairly
often (ASU is a favored target for douche bags, i mean script kiddies).
Usually it's one break-in and we're the admin or they don't get their ether
cable back. EG, last week, a tier-3 system was compromised and flooded an
entire subnet, spiked the router to 100% for a few hours, and pissed off two
TSAs.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
plug@arcticmail.com
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 10:59 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: user tracking

There are also other items in a standard rootkit.

You could spend time checking ls, ps, top, sum, yada
yada yada, against your pristine versions on read-only
installation media (after booting into single-user
mode on pristine read-only trusted media (and ONLY
running binaries from said media)), but IMHO your best
bet after a breach/rootkit incident is to take off and
nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

I'm sure there's a HOWTO on cleaning up your system
after a rootkit "upgrade."  Check Google.