user tracking

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:59:05 -0700

There are also other items in a standard rootkit.

You could spend time checking ls, ps, top, sum, yada
yada yada, against your pristine versions on read-only
installation media (after booting into single-user
mode on pristine read-only trusted media (and ONLY
running binaries from said media)), but IMHO your best
bet after a breach/rootkit incident is to take off and
nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

I'm sure there's a HOWTO on cleaning up your system
after a rootkit "upgrade."  Check Google.