redhat tries apt-get

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:47:08 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> On Sep 20,  8:13pm, Joel Dudley wrote:
>
> > Looks like RH 7.0 is going to make a stab at the whole apt-get idea
> > in 7.0, but you have to pay for it?  What is up with that??  One
> > more reason for me to switch to Debian.
>
> I think you're referring to Red Hat Network.
>
> As I understand it, it is free for up to five machines.  If you have
> more than five machines that you wish to keep up to date with this
> service, then you have to pay for it.  Also, there are varying levels

OK, that's a big difference. Number of machines shouldn't matter, but this
will cover most non-business cases. Does the machine have to
register? e.g. if I were to do updates via a proxy/masquerade can RedHat's
servers tell the difference?

> of service and support, some which cost more than others.  For more
> details, see
>
>     http://www.redhat.com/products/support/network/

Ah, it's only free until 01Dec as part of a trial period :(. Also, one has
to register to use it :(!

> I really see nothing wrong with this.  If you want to switch to

Already did ;).

> Debian, then just do it.  (I.e, I'm tired of the Red Hat bashing
> going on on this list.)

It doesn't solve the problem when we do it here. We need to complain on
lists where the RedHat marketing people hang out :(.

I'd prefer RedHat be excellent all the way around, but some things are
definitely lacking.

Just for the record I've also bitched about SuSE, Mandrake and debian :).
Also, there are admittedly probs with debian, but it provides the
functionality and reliability that I prize.

The only dist I've used that I haven't bitched about is slackware ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The