Location of latest raid patches

Eric Thelin eric@thelin.org
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:35:17 -0700 (MST)

As I said at the meeting the best software raid to use is the
development patches which are available at:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/

Most of you probably are thinking that you shouldn't use something
called alpha software on a production server.  And normally I completely
agree.  But in this case these patches are being used by redhat,
mandrake and others in the kernels they build as the standard for their
distributions.  I have no idea why this patch isn't marked as stable
since it is the one everyone involved with the project recomends for use
on production systems.  Part of the problem is due to the split from the
fact that the raid project never really integrated itself into the
standard kernel tree they have just been doing their own thing and the
kernel developers added it to the main tree but they only migrated one
release and required stability patches from the raid branch.  So the
raid in the STANDARD kernel (not the one distributions give out) has
been far behind since day one with no one really even trying to update
it.  So to make a long story short if you use the kernel package
provided by your linux distribution you should have the latest patches
there already and it will just work, but if you like to compile your own
kernel you will need to go to the url above and get raid-2.2.17-A0.

Eric Thelin                                          erict@aztechbiz.com
           AZtechBiz.com: Where Arizona Does Tech Business
               Voice: 480-377-6743   Fax: 480-377-6755