disk mirroring

Robert Ambrose rna@testpt.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:26:43 -0700 (MST)

It seems to work ok.  I use it on systems where the budget doesn't allow a
hardware RAID controller.  I beat up on SW RAID1 for a while on a system
built just for that purpose.

First read the various files which comes with raidtools.  On a RH system,
it's in /usr/doc/raidtools*.

On the RH distro, you can install the system using RAID1 from the gui
install.  The text install doesn't seem to have it.  Don't skip creating
a bootdisk during the install.

A few items which bear mention:

1. When updating the kernel, you will have to manually update the ramdisk
which gets loaded during boot (/boot/initrd*).  It will probably be
updated versions from /lib/modules to the /lib directory on the initrd.
You should also update a copy of the bootdisk you created during the
install process.

2. The command to rebuild the array after a drive failure was a bit
obscure (at least for me it was): raidhotadd /dev/md? /dev/sd<new disk>.

3. You should write a script which monitors /proc/mdstat and emails
somebody when a drive fails.

Anyway, this should at least get you started.

rna