Big bucks to M$, unless someone knows sendmail...

Gene Holmerud geneous@bigfoot.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:50:35 -0700

Where I work (government) we're searching for a replacement for an
email system.  The current system has custom hardware and software
and runs on (would you believe) a private X.25 WAN.  It gets messages
to any or all 50-odd sites throughout the Western US in less than a
minute.

Here's the new game plan/requirements:
1. Solution needs to be "off the shelf" h/w and s/w.
2. A private and robust IP WAN is in place, ready for use.  The
Internet doesn't guarantee delivery times.
3. A pair of servers that are data mirrors should be at one node.
4. Another server mirroring data can be located at another node on
the WAN.
client per hour).
6. Reliability is very important, re: the robust WAN and multiple
servers.
7. Failing from one of the paired servers to the other should be
nearly unnoticable to the client users.  Failing to the second-site
server could require stopping the client and relogging in.
8. Copies of messages sent from any client go to the intended
client(s) and to a repository (could be one of the servers).
9. A convenient means of determining whither a given message has been
delivered.  A return msg from each destination is not a good solution
as 50 such messages are just clutter, and one or two missed
deliveries would not be noticed, but should alert an administrator.
10. Email client must have a forms capability.  That is about 10 pre-
defined forms exist on servers and clients.  User fills in the
blanks, and only the variable data is transmitted.
11. Logins (user, client maintenance, server maint., & sys
management) must use encrypted passwords.
12. Automatic printing of received messages at client sites.
13. A folders capability for manual and/or automatic sorting and
retention of messages at the client.

Yes, it's a tough spec.  M$ Exchange 2000 comes somewhere near
fulfilling the requirements, but at something like $5k to $10k
licensing per server!  If there's something close in the Linux
environment, I'd like to take a real hard look.

Gene