Linux distro diffs

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:37:12 -0700

\_ > I've got a quick question before I sit down with bundles of SRPMS....
\_ > If you take a standard srpm and rebuild it, will it automatically
\_ > notice the hardware you're on and adjust appropriately?  Like shifting
\_ > from a vanilla 386 build to a 686 build?
\_
\_ [Bill Warner quoth]
\_ not directly.  I belive there is a config file that is like
\_ a master Makefile for rpms that let you set tags for gcc.  I
\_ haven't used an rpm based distro in years though and don't really
\_ remember.

On recent and well behaved [*] SRPMS and recent [*] versions of rpm,
you can say

 rpm -ba --target i686 tcsh.spec

and have it build for 686.  And no, it doesn't auto detect the highest
target type.  And there is a a global config file, but I can't figure
out how to specify default target.

YMMV.

David

[*] If it doesn't work, then obviously it's either not well behaved
and/or recent.   :-)