Looking for linux-friendly pc->tv hardware

Thomas, Mark Mark.Thomas@hit.cendant.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:00:18 -0400

The difficulty with some of those external VGA->NTSC converter
devices/cables is that you lost the bottom fifth of the frame.  The aspect
ration of a NTSC frame is quite different from a computer screen (IIRC, it's
1.5:1, as opposed to 1.33:1 for most computer display resolutions).

If you go that route, you may have to adjust the layout so that the bottom
portion of the frame (on the computer display) is actually blank.

Hope that helps.
--
Mark "T.C." Thomas
Systems Engineer
Cendant HIT
mark.thomas@hit.cendant.com

-----Original Message-----
From: sinck@ugive.com [mailto:sinck@ugive.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 8:06 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Looking for linux-friendly pc->tv hardware

\_ Hello, everybody!
\_
\_ I am looking for a way to get video output from my computer
\_ to a t.v. so I can record image slideshows to VCR. I have seen
\_ this done before, but that was a while back.  Any suggestions?

Me, I'd call Fry's and ask if there was a vga to RCA/S-video/catv
cable or connector or device.  I think there's a product called
'Snappy', but dunno how much is onboard and how much is M$-software
based.

David