Linux distro diffs

Alan Dayley ADayley@adtron.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:57:50 -0700

My question may require to long of an answer but I will try to make it
easy.  Here are my applications, real and possible.

1. I want to learn Linux so I am setting up a box as a workstation to learn
Liunux and Linux programming.

2. I am setting up a firewall (eventually proxy server too) for my home DSL
connection.

3. It is possible I will be doing driver and/or kernel programming at work,
if the powers finally decide to go with Linux.

4. Maybe (this is a BIG maybe) we will embed Linux into our products.  This
would be in the far (> 1 year) future so I am not too concerned about it
now. [MontaVista maybe, if and when the time comes ;^) ]

5. Again, based on a decision by the powers that be, we could be setting up
a Linux database server for production and test data input from a network
of stations.

6. Production and test workstations mentioned in 5 above would be used by
personel through product assembly, test and shipping.  (TCL/TK apps perhaps?)

So, those are the possible "uses" or environments for Linux boxes.  Knowing
the strength of each distro may dictate that one be used over the other for
each of these uses.  For continuity, maybe only one distro should be
deployed in all uses, even if that distro is not as good for a particular
environment.  Maybe the different uses are so varied that I should just
pick one distro and stick with it throughout because it is too much to
learn so many distros.

That is my question.  A full answer might need an entire book!  I don't
expect anyone on the list to write one.  (But a recommendation to one would
be good!)

Alan