Canon BJC-6000

Digital Wokan wokan@home.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:50:21 -0700

I looked into the issues regarding the development of drivers for the
6000.  There are currently 2 methods being worked on.  Neither one is
able to get any information from Canon because Canon insists that they
must sign NDA's to receive any info (thereby ruining any chance of the
drivers being open source).
So, yes, I do realize it costs a company nothing.  And I did politely
inform them via feedback and technical support submission (with a
request that it be shared with the monkeys in marketing - no I didn't
actually call them monkeys, turn off the flamethrower) that this printer
is now the last Canon printer I will purchase, and that I'm very
relieved that I learned of this driver deficiency in the privacy of my
own home rather than at work where we use Linux/Samba for our file and
print serving.  I informed them they saved me from a several hundred
dollar mistake and that I should research other companies such as HP and
Lexmark who have a greater percentage of full support under the Linux
OS.

So, while I may mouth off about them here on our list (pretty much in
hopes that others will see this problem and avoid the Canon mistake that
I made) where my opinion can be archived for them to weep over, I wrote
to them in what I hope came across as an intelligent and disappointed
tone.

Now, if someone would kindly chop all this extra stuff out, I'd like to
know if anyone's aware of a "tap" for a printer port.  If the exact
signals sent between Windows and the BJC-6000 (both directions) could be
captured for a given image or piece of text to be printed, I'm sure it
would greatly help in the reverse engineering efforts of the driver
writers in fixing the color problems and breaking the 720x720 limit
they've currently reached.