Help: VB vs. VC++

linux@integertech.com linux@integertech.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:15:34 -0700

> I have found myself in a situation
> where I have to persuade a person I know
> to use VC++ instead of VB.
>
> I would like to know what are good arguments
> to present in order to win this one.

VB is slower than C++.
VB is less flexible than C++.
VB is less powerful than C++.
Visual Basic is BASIC, after all.

VB is a RAD tool, which really means "it's easy to throw together a sloppy
prototype in a short time," but it all depends what your project is.  VB has
become very popular (in the windows world, obviously) as a the lang. for
middle-tier COM development in web apps.  MS is now pushing VB as a web
lang. for server side development (IIS+MTS+VB COM, etc).  It really depends
on your app though.  Development time and learning curve are factors in
favor of VB....

todd