Linux & Proliant

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 13:23:42 -0700

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 01:02:56PM -0700, John Albee wrote:
> Has anyone ever worked with linux on a compaq proliant server?  The reason I
> am asking is because we may pick some up for use as web servers.  My
> concerns are with the architecture compatibility and the hot-swapable
> drives.  I have never used hot-swapable drives with linux before so I wanted
> to get all your input first.

What's most important is what kind of RAID controller does it use?
After you find out, look at the kernel config (run make xconfig in the
kernel source tree) and see if it's supported yet.  A good RAID controller
won't require any OS intervention when drives are swapped out; it can
continue working without a hickup even as you pull one drive and install
another one.  It's the sort of thing that should be taken care of by
hardware and firmware rather than the OS.  As far as Linux is concerned
the entire RAID is just one big disk.  But it doesn't do any good
if Linux doesn't have a driver for that particular controller yet.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org