New business startup help/suggestions/info needed

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:15:02 -0700

FWIW, we've had nearly a dozen servers built around an Intel
N440BX mobo varying from PIII 450 w/ 256MB ECC RAM to PIII
600 w/ 1GB RAM, all single processor but capable of upgrade
to dual.  No problem at all with them. I'm not suggesting
that Dell's a bad choice, just that it can be less expensive
to roll your own.

P.S.  Fry's has a "Quantum Atlas III" 18GB SCSI-3 drive for
'bout $219 now (normal $269?).  They run really hot, but if
you stick em into one of the removable carriers w/ dual fans
in front they're quite the happy little storage solution.
I'm also in love w/ the Adaptec AAA-131U2 for cheap, _fast_
RAID.  Very reliable.  3 of the Quantums, 3 carriers and the
Adaptec and you've got 36GB at RAID 5 for somewhere around
$1600...

Personally, I wouldn't bring up a production server without
RAID.
Steve

--
Carpe cerevisiae