MS hacked!!

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:42:58 -0700

"Michael F. March" wrote:
> Also, Microsoft is a victim of there own success. The WIN32
> API is pretty much frozen. MS knows that if they do not make
> their new versions of Office not work on Windows 95 then they
> will not sell as many copies since millions of people and
> corporations refuse to upgrade. The good old days of the
> fluctuating WIN16 APIs are long gone.. MS is screwed.

With the reality of a genuine NEED for >32bit computing approaching
rapidly (how long before the average user can afford more than 4GB (or
2?) of RAM, and has a mobo that supports it? Less than 5yrs for sure,
I'd think..), maybe this will become MS's move to distract competition
while they work on something buggy enough in 64bits that people will
be forced to upgrade constantly for another few decades? Bill Gates &
Co may not know shit from shinola about ethics, good customer support,
or decent coding, but they definitly seem to understand market forces
and economics, right?

Adding an extra 4 bits to the 32bit address register (one of Intel's
ploys) is pretty sad ... reaks of the practices that led to the 20bit
bugs that gave us the infamous 640K barrier (cause the upper chunk of
the first 1024k was other stuff)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|