MS hacked!!

Michael F. March march@indirect.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:35:35 -0700

I have been on the WINE development list for years now
and one thing I have observed is that the WINE developers
do not want to see a copy of the API list from Windows. They
are trying to model WINE after how Windows *really* functions
by doing 'clean room' engineering techniques and .. or as they
say it they are doing a 'bug for bug' replication of Windows
functions. The more clean room techniques they use, the more
legal group WINE has to stand on in the end.

Also, Microsoft is a victim of there own success. The WIN32
API is pretty much frozen. MS knows that if they do not make
their new versions of Office not work on Windows 95 then they
will not sell as many copies since millions of people and
corporations refuse to upgrade. The good old days of the
fluctuating WIN16 APIs are long gone.. MS is screwed.

> Would it?  Do you think that MS isnt in the process of changing as much
as
> possible as quickly as possible to protect their revenue stream?  I
mean,
> it isnt like MS has never changed formats or APIs in the past.
>
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, you wrote:h
> > interesting reading.
> >
> > it sure would be nice to have a source copy of the API's though.
> > This would make importing and exporting of cross-platform
> > programs that much easier.
> >
> > Hawke
/plug-discuss