DVD Players (Re: PLUG is live!)

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:22:17 -0700

Digital Wokan wrote:

> Hopefully they can do something to let me use the hardware decoder
> then.  I've got the ReelMagic Hollywood+ which the company keeps
> (irately) stating will _never_ have Linux support (as we all know, that
> just means from them).  I've seen what software decoding looks like,
> even on 600+ MHz systems and I'm not impressed, especially for
> full-screen playback.  (That's a lot of work for a standard CPU when you
> add decoding on top of everything else.)

If you've got a spare free several gigs, theres no reason you couldnt
decode it first, right? Better still, choose a display size and
framerate that will use around, say, 70% of your CPU power, and then
run the decoder in the background, reniced to 10. tail the output file
to your mpeg player.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|