Uptime Baby!

Digital Wokan wokan@home.com
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:59:52 -0700

While older kernels may have certain vulnerabilities, it may be that the
system concerned isn't exposed to other situations where those exploits
become executable.  Exploits requiring physical access to the system are
solved with a lock on the server room door.  Exploits that are done over
a network are not an issue for standalone systems and are mitigated on
systems adequately protected from outside assault (though more layers of
protection would be smarter in my book, sometimes a system doesn't have
the opportunity to be brought down.