Uptime Baby!

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:48:36 GMT

"J.L.Francois" wrote:

> The next time someone says Linux can't hang show them this.
> This is a SparcClassic with  32MB RAM serving WWW pages
> and my Sparc test platform.
> Obsolete hardware to everyone but me.
>
> I wanted to get this out before I have to start turning equipment
> off to mount in imy refrigerator converted to server cabinet.
>
> Woops, gotta go and reboot my wifes Win98 desktop, again.

> Linux heirophant 2.0.35 #1 Wed Feb 17 20:37:03 CET 1999 sparc unknown
>   5:55pm  up 406 days,  6:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.00

Uptime is nice, but I hate to see uptime over 150 days - it shows that
the kernel has not been updated against various exploits.  The 2.0.35
kernel is about three years old, and I'm pretty sure there are some remote
compromises up to the 2.2.13 kernel.  Maybe the sparc kernel is different?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

George
---
Compared to Linux, working with the Windows desktop is like performing
gymnastics in a strait jacket.