RedHat Network redux

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:44:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 13. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Eric Johnson so:

> I just coded up the following to check for RH 6.2 updates; I've been
> meaning to do this for a while.
>
> I'm sure this idea can be extended to get the latest updates from your
> favorite mirror, etc. All I really wanted here was notification regarding
> new security issues with 6.2.
>
> Yes Hans, I know Debian's apt-get is much more elegant than this :-)

Ah, but functionality is king. If this finds out about security updates
and assists in auto-installing them, then it's awesome :).

> Any comments or suggestion, fire away.

Maybe we take this and build apt-security-get for RedHat? We've got lots
of people using RedHat in the LUG, so why not assist in building the
better mousetrap, aka distribution?

To those using RedHat: How about it? Are you willing to assist as your
skills allow? This will need some coders, but also lots of testers as well
as help with documentation? I'd think this would be easy.

Is there a tool that will do dependency checking and grab
dependencies? That's key to auto-install. "--nodeps" is a bad option in
automagic tools.

Thanks for the script Eric. I might even install RedHat again, so I can
try it :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans