Years and Years and Years of experience..

Doug Winterburn doug@winterburn.net
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:39:35 -0700

From: "Shawn T. Rutledge" <rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 21:03:30 -0700
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Years and Years and Years of experience..

<snip>
they keep putting up with it.  But by golly, freeware is untrustworthy
so they won't use it, and they begrudge me using it too.)
<snip>

I ran into this "untrustworthy/unsupported" argument in a SunOS/AIX
environment.  The shop had to migrate to Solaris from SunOS (Y2K and
all) and the C compiler was an extra cost item.  The SunOS compiler was
free but wasn't ANSI.  I simply wanted to use GNU gcc and binutils, but
the sysadmin wouldn't allow that stuff on his systems.

Anyway, after hearing about the bad, bad freeware, I pointed out that we
were in real trouble - we would have to get rid of DNS (bind), sendmail,
X11, the NCSA web server, ...

The response from the sysadmin was "Is that stuff really freeware?"

-Doug