glibc sucks...

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:03:17 -0700

Jason wrote:

> Well, I've finally gotten fed up enough with the current trend of
> refusing to support proper libc5 ELF binaries to go ahead and instal
> glibc (version 2.2). Updated all the requirements, everything passed
> make and make check went off without a hitch.
>
> make install, on the other hand, dies at the tippy end ... seems
> they've included a brand new ldconfig in v2.2 that (drumroll please)
> DOESNT WORK! It
>
> "can't stat .2"

Apparently this was an actual bug. I was emailed the patch after
sending email where instructed in the FAQs.

Now, quite a few old binaries segfault and I havent had any success
running anything glibc that I have downloaded. The compiler is pretty
well hosed too. I think the jump from libc5 to glibc-2.2 might be just
a little too big.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|