locking down gnome.

Deepak Saxena deepak@csociety.purdue.edu
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:44:06 -0700

create a "gnome" user/group.
you can use root, but it's probably cleaner not to

pseudo-code:

foreach USER
cd ~$USER/.gnome-desktop
chown -R gnome:gnome .

That will lock down the desktop.  They can read it, but they can't write to
it, so there's no way for them to add anything.

You should be able to do the same sort of thing with the .gnome directory
by locking down config files.  You may have to play with that directory a
little since certain files have to be written to by Gnome at logout.
Thing like session management information and such.

I would create a default .gnome-desktop and .gnome directory structure
and then build a wrapper script around adduser so that they get automatically
installed into a new user's $HOME

~ Deepak

On Nov 22 2000, at 12:32, Icegryphon was caught saying: