xmms .. ughh..

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:34:42 -0700

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 03:01:52PM -0700, Jason wrote:
> Anyone else have any luck at all with xmms??

Yeah it works beautfully for me.  Only oddity is that when I close
the window, sometimes the process hangs around for a while.  But
I didn't compile it; there's a Debian package.

I tried to get it to work on that low-end laptop though, the one with
the Mwave DSP... it pretends to be a Soundblaster Pro, and can only
do 8 bit, 22khz.  xmms doesn't deal with it; it tries to play all the
samples anyway, with the result being like playing a 78 RPM record
at the LP speed.  :-)  But xmms supposedly uses the mpg123 engine, and
mpg123 has a -2 flag which tells it to downsample to half the rate,
and that works fine on this machine.  So if you see any compilation
options to use this feature in xmms, let me know wouldja?  Otherwise
I'll just try to use the clumsy ugly front end for mpg123, called gmp3.

There's also FreeAmp; it does the same thing (plays at half speed).
But maybe it would work for you.

Another problem with that laptop is the volume control doesn't work.
It happens to play MP3's very quietly, while system beeps are reasonably
loud.  This morning (now that I got a working modem, thanks guys for all
the offers!) I noticed that it plays the modem connect tones through the
laptop's main speakers too... loudly.  So even with amplified speakers
the low volume will be a nuisance.  (I'll just have to turn down the
modem volume with the appropriate AT command.)  I could've swore it was
louder before I messed with the DOS settings so will probably try re-
installing the DOS mwave driver.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org