max ext2 partition

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:00:06 -0700

ReiserFS is in use on some production WWW sites.
I am using it in production and haven't lost any data yet ;)

EXt3 doesn't look good for 2.2.x series kernels yet.
I didn't look at TuxFS.

Boot times
===========
Hardware: Custom 1.4 TB Disk array ( Fibre Channel )
          Intel 800MHZ, 1 GIG RAM File Server.
I pulled the power plug on the file server during a local and network
write to the disk array here and found the following:

Mandrake 7.2 with custom kernel and ext2:
      Don't bother waiting. The sun will be a cold speck in
       space before this comes up.

Mandrake 7.2 with custom kernel and ReiserFS:
     Approxx. 2 minutes total boot time to prompt.

OpenBSD 2.7 with custom kernel and FFS:
     Minimum boot time was 10 minutes no matter
      what since newfs couldn't write rotational data to the array.

Not entirely scientific but thats all the data I kept.

HTH. HAND
JLF Sends...

It seems like on Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 08:17:27AM -0700, Blake Barnett scribbled:

Orig Msg> Hash: SHA1
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Is reiserfs ready for production use yet?  I have a need for
Orig Msg> something like that on linux right NOW.  And I'd love to keep as much
Orig Msg> of my current project on linux as possible.  If reiserfs isn't ready,
Orig Msg> is TuxFS? Ext3FS?  Anything else for linux?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Blake Barnett
Orig Msg> Sr. Unix Administrator for DevelopOnline.com
Orig Msg> blake.barnett@developonline.com
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> - -----Original Message-----
Orig Msg> From: J.L.Francois [mailto:frenchie@magusnet.gilbert.az.us]
Orig Msg> Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 7:23 AM
Orig Msg> To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Orig Msg> Subject: Re: max ext2 partition
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> At home I have a 44 GB disk mounted and made with ext2
Orig Msg> and at work I have a 1.05 TB disk array that at one time was mounted
Orig Msg> with
Orig Msg> no problems after doing a mke2fs -m0 to it.
Orig Msg> I have done this with ext2, reiserfs, and BSD ffs, and all of them
Orig Msg> worked fine for > 1TB sizes.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> LVM or the raidtools will let you combine drives in linux.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> The limit isn't normally size, but how many drives you can have
Orig Msg> in an array/pool set.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> YMMV.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> It seems like on Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 10:02:33PM -0700, Don Harrop
Orig Msg> scribbled:
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> I've been doing some Linux on some bigger HD's lately.
Orig Msg> Seems like the
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> largest partition ext2 can support is 8gigs.  Am I stuck
Orig Msg> with this or is
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> there a trick to creating a larger partition that I don't
Orig Msg> know about?  Is
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> there a way to connect two drives together as one logical
Orig Msg> partition?  I
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> wan't to create the biggest partition I can in Linux with
Orig Msg> the utilities
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> that come with the a standard Linux distro.
Orig Msg> Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Orig Msg> Don
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
Orig Msg> President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com,
Orig Msg> MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Orig Msg> Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
Orig Msg> OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
Orig Msg> 602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851
Orig Msg> My Certifications:
Orig Msg> http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=1214021