firewalls: was Re: test

Doug Winterburn doug@winterburn.net
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:26:28 -0700

Not sure what your problem was, but I have used it several times with no
problem.  I let smtp (sendmail in and out) as well as selected other
ports and all works as advertised.  I generated several firewalls for
myself (static IP) using this site over the last year or so and one last
week for my son's new cable cox@home setup (dhcp) and all work well and
as advertised.  I did have a little tussle following the installation
instructions for my sons dhcp cable connection, but it had nothing to do
with the rules that were generated, but instead was problems with the
dhcp download script not setting up /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts
properly.

-Doug

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 12:33:33 -0700
From: Hawke <proudhawk19021@home.com>
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: firewalls: was Re: test

Well guys..
the firewall I got from:
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
had some problems.... it seems I could recieve e-mail,
but not send. I am currently debugging the script, but in
the meantime, I strongly recommend that a thurough debug
of any scripts you get from that site should be in order.

I am currently running ip[chains with no rules (except those
placed in the ruleset by abacus sentry.

in the meantime, just a friendly note to let y'all know
that the scripts obtained from third parties may not be
perfect and that modification may be required (never implicitly
trust 3rd party vendors with default products, always peak and tweak
to meet your needs).

Ha