What Distro to use

Donald Martinez donald.martinez@thelinuxstore.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 17:13:50 -0700

I do understand that there is support where redhat is concerned and I can see the concern for not using debian because there is no
official support out there.
But in the case of Opnix  which is actually using Stormix on some of there machines. Stormix is debian based, the only real difference
is the install and they
have some administrative tools which will actually be integrated into the next stable release of debian (woody). Stormix has it's own
tech support as well,
just like M$ it is fee based but if you need support you got it.  So if you love debian, and want the support use Storm. I am not a
total advocate of Storm, I do
like there product, basically what I am saying is that if you want to use something that is not Redhat and want to give the
checkwriters of the company
something to make them feel warm and fuzzy you can use Storm as an option. There are others out there too like Turbo and Suse, but they
are all rpm based
distributions.

I personally like Debian over Redhat, the runlevels are in different directories, I can load a module /etc/modules I don't know how to
do that in redhat I believe that is in the /etc/conf.modules. There are more differences than just package management between redhat
and debian.  Having started with redhat and switched to debian, I have seen the light and will stick with debian.

ttfn
Donald