Tape Backup

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 12:58:17 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 30 May 2000 holtzm@primenet.com wrote:

> At 07:37 PM 05/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >For an IDE tape drive it's probably /dev/ftape, I think. IDE sucks for
> >backups :).
>
> Care to educate me as to why it sucks?

It's slower than scsi. scsi runs traffic across the scsi bus without
having to cross the cpu, but ide doesn't. And the number one reason is the
bane of the x86 architecture, it uses IRQs :).

One other thing, my PPC boxen don't have IDE :).

ciao,

der.hans

PS: The other bane of the x86 architecture is no support for serial
terminal, but that one's been overcome :).
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...