bloatware (was RE: Linux Programmer)

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 12:46:42 -0700

Well, you haven't convinced me that VB OR (especially) C++, for that matter,
is bloated/bloatware. If C++ were so bloated, then why would it be used for
embedded/realtime system programming? That just doesn't make any sense. I'd
ALMOST be convinced that VB is too, but I really think it depends on the
application you build with it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trent Shipley [mailto:tshipley@symbio-tech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 12:47 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: Linux Programmer

Bloated Code: The usual reference is to source code, though bloated source
code also tends to produce bloated object code.  "Bloated code" usually
refers to code that is terribly overwritten.  That is, given an efficient
way to go from A to B, e.g. A:B bloated code solves the problem by A:M, M:C,
C:D, D:B.

The classic example of bloated code is the difference in code produced by
C++ compared to C.

Bloated code CAN be acceptable IF you do not need to optimize for minimum
memory use or maximum execution speed.  In the C++ versus C example, C++
source code tends to be easier to maintain, expand, and write in the first
place.

However, code bloat is never desirable when one approaches programming as a
craft.  All things being equal, the better programmer produces tighter code.

Bloated Code is not necessarily the same as bloat-ware.  "Bloat-ware" refers
to an end product that uses much more space than other solutions for limited
(or esoteric) improvements in function.  It is usually associated with
"feature creep" and bloated code due to the need to push new product to
market.