Linux Programmer

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 16:06:34 -0400

-> \_ ***Ah, the much touted 'do the right thing'
-> functionality.  [Now if we
-> \_ ***could only get a politician to have that...]  It
-> depends, I guess, on
-> \_ ***what you think a programming language is for and how
-> you rate it and
-> \_ ***what you're trying to do with it.
-> \_ C allows for ugly programming too but it is powerful and
-> functional enough
-> \_ to make look nice.
-> Either I'm not understanding, or I'm gonna have to strap on my Holy
-> War Armor and start smiting you.  How does the power + functionality
-> of a language imply niceity?  Or were you saying that you take the
-> time in C to make the code look nice because of the power +
-> functionality thereof?
Ok "Holy War Armor"...  Have you ever tried to create a data structure, or
class in Basic (not the visual one)?  If you can not create nice structures
you are left with using globals (yuck).
In many languages you have to improvise functionality with techniques
therefore you are left coding instead of designing.
I *hate* working around language limitations.

-> \_ I am not trying to limit programming I just like
-> \_ functionality
-> \_ which allows for the programmers to limit themselves.  I
-> am not a supporter
-> \_ of legislating programming standards either.
->
-> Mmmm...standards; the best thing about them is the number of them to
-> choose from.

"Most standards have standard way of being non-standard."

->
-> \_
-> \_ FWIW, I have four categories of programming:
-> \_
-> \_ 1) Trivial.  Simple is as simple does.
-> \_ 2) Moderate.  Can be complex, but is maintainable.
-> \_ 3) Spaghetti.  Can be simple, but poorly thought out.  Typically
-> \_ 	       moderate level of difficulty or higher with poorly
-> \_ 	       thought out steps.
-> \_ 4) Gordian Knot.  Don't ask questions as to why I have a
-> category 4.
-> \_
-> \_ I like your categories however it is missing one:
-> \_ 1/2) MODULAR combination of the first and the second one.
->
-> 1/2) is a form of 2) in my book (particularly the 'maintainability'
-> chapters).

OK I can take that.

The Wolf