SpeedChoice broadband

Tim Fadden timslinux@earthlink.net
Sat, 13 May 2000 17:02:19 +0000

Emmanuel Gravel wrote:

> Since SpeedChoice is now SprintBroadband, price has
> gone down but browsing through their FAQ, it appears
> that they've made the system so only Windows and Mac
> boxen can connect to the system. Does anyone have any
> experiences connecting Linux or other OS'es to their
> system? If so, how's it done? I'm considering them
> since Cox doesn't have any service in Glendale, and
> ADSL isn't available in my area (fibre lines). Their
> FAQ is very sparse on info about the way to connect
> to their service...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emmanuel

I've had sppedchoice/broadband for several years now.  I have a
multi-user modem with 3 ip's attached to a Solaris box, Linux Mandrake,
and win98.

If you only get 1 IP, you will have to use DHCP with WinX. linux, and
solaris will complain that someone has their IP,
while comming up, but will function OK.

It's a normal setup for networking on any unix box.  set your IP,
netmask, router Ip, and set up for DNS.

Oh by the way you can get multible IP's for 9.95 each.  The cost
actually went up $10 for me when the switch took
place.

Tim Fadden