ipop3d and APOP

sinck@corp.quepasa.com sinck@corp.quepasa.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 10:32:19 -0700 (MST)

Actually, I left out the 'nt' (being what this group is an all) it
should read: 'conventstation', an investation by convents.  As used in
the preceeding email, means that the 'pop dialogue' is pure and
therefore 'secure'.

David

\_ www.dictionary.com does not have a definition for convestation (or convest).
\_ Was this a typo for conversation or can you tell me the definition of the
\_ word...I like its sound.
\_
\_ Craig
\_
\_ >
\_ > \_ >From what I understand, APOP uses encryption to authenticate
\_ > \_ pop users, yet I can not find any documentation on how to
\_ > \_ implement it. I am running ipop3d as the deamon, and all it says
\_ > \_ is that APOP support is already compiled into it.
\_ > \_
\_ > \_ Anybody care to give me a hand.
\_ >
\_ > On a WAG, you just have to check the 'use encrypted authentication' on
\_ > the client.
\_ >
\_ > Basically, IIRC, the pop convestation runs along these lines:
\_ >
\_ > telnet popserver 110
\_ > c: user sinck
\_ > s: ok [or something equivalent]
\_ > c: pass my_pop_pass_here
\_ > s: ok 24000 messages
\_ > c: retr 1
\_ > s:
\_ > message
\_ > one
\_ > here
\_ >  .
\_ > c: quit
\_ >
\_ >
\_ > For authenticated pop, instead of issuing the 'pass' command,
\_ > there would be some sort of encryption of the password and have it
\_ > sent with the 'auth' command.
\_ >
\_ > David
\_ >